2009年4月2日星期四

Give me a Kleenex stat! The series finale of 'ER'!

Never has the phrase you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone been more appropriate.

For years I’ve bemoaned the storylines on "ER" and threatened to break up with the show (always unsuccessfully). I was livid at times (see how Ray exited the show), perplexed at times (exactly how many of Sam’s storylines did they drop sans explanation) and bored at others (I just couldn’t care about Simon). And then what did the show do in its final hours? Lure me right back in.

They did this, of course, by going out in the classiest way possible. The brought back familiar faces and letting us know they’ve been doing fine since we last saw them. But the trip down memory lane did not overshadow the current characters and the end of the series didn’t become all about characters of the past. Also the light at the end of the tunnel seemed to allow the writers to accelerate story lines that had been languishing. How wonderful to see Archie in love! How much sense does it make that Neela would need to go to a new hospital? How great to see Sam getting her life together. They are writing the playbook for how a long running series should say goodbye.

The farewell begins tomorrow night (April 2) at 8 p.m. with a one hour retrospective followed by a two hour episode. We know that Dr. Susan Lewis (Sherry Stringfield), Dr. Dr. Kerry Weaver (Laura Innes), Dr. Elizabeth Corday (Alex Kingston), Dr. Peter Benton (Eriq LaSalle) and Mark’s daughter Rachel Greene will be back to celebrate the opening of Carter’s (Noah Wyle) new medical center. Alexis Bledel guest stars and Ernest Borgnine returns. And since you know I love fearless predictions, I’m going to go ahead and say I think we’ll see Doug (George Clooney) and Carol (Julianna Margulies) again. You can get a look at tomorrow’s episode here and here.

Mostly I think the series will end as it began – with the doctors of County General seeing patients. I’ve got my Kleenex ready. Are you prepared for tomorrow night?

Other Goodbyes

"Damages" ends its second season tonight at 10 p.m. on FX. I don’t think Ellen really shot Patty, do you? I kind of think there’s been someone sitting next to Patty this whole time and that's who shot Patty. Remember the FBI agent watching her is corrupt. The thing I’ve really learned is to be patient with the series. I thought it was silly that the FBI agent was talking to his estranged wife all the time and it turns out he wasn’t. I thought William Hurt’s Daniel Purcell wasn’t as complex a villain as the show needed but then it’s revealed that he has a conscious and that he didn’t, in fact, kill his wife. I’m so happy this show has already been picked up for season three. How about you?

"Life on Mars" also comes to an end tonight at 10 p.m. on ABC. While I’m happy we will get some closure, I’m still so sad to see the series go. Especially when it was getting better and better with each passing episode. I’ll miss the funky 70’s soundtrack that was totally reminiscent of actual 70’s TV shows. I’ll miss the burgeoning romance between Sam and Annie. I’ll miss Jason O’Mara’s riveting performance – let’s hope another show snatches him up soon. I’ll miss seeing Michael Imperoli in such a different and distinct role. And I’ll definitely miss Harvey Keitel chewing the scenery with his bravado style. The producers have said we’ll learn what happened to Sam and why he’s in 1973. They’ve also said it won’t be because he’s been in a coma. I think I’m good with any explanation as long as it’s not that he’s delusional. What’s your theory? Talk about it below

没有评论:

发表评论